16 November 2015

Handmade curtains

I went on a bit of a curtain-making spree.

After we'd been in the blue house a couple of months, I was pretty fed up with the lack of curtains/ugly curtains that covered our windows. I spent a week or so scouring the internet and local stores for something I loved that was reasonable quality but didn't cost 6 arms and 4 legs. We need approx. 90 inch curtains for the bedrooms which means buying the 96 inchers and shortening them. Those extra 12 inches seem to add a crazy amount to the cost.

So, to the fabric store I went! I actually went in there on a mission for material for dining room curtains, but came home with material to make new ones for the office as well.

I started on the dining room ones first. I knew I bought just enough fabric to make 2 panels, so I cut it in half and got to work ironing the sides. I had 1.5 (of 4) sides sewn when my machine started making...questionable noises. And it only got worse. So, in for servicing the machine went putting my curtain making project on hold for about 2 weeks.

Sewing the dining room curtains

But, never fear, I got it back and got them done. And I'm in love! They're just perfect. I'll probably hang a different rod in there at some point in the future, and I've left a large hem allowance to lengthen the curtains at that time if need be.

Dining room curtains

Dining room curtains

Once I got my machine back I also made curtains for the office. You knew I had a general disdain for the ones that came with the house, and I think these blue and white patterned ones are definitely much better! These have tab backs and were a lot more work than the dining room curtains as a result. I was trying to be thrifty with these (the material was on sale) so I didn't want to buy drapery clips, but I think it would have been worth it for the amount of time it would have saved. It's just so much easier!

New office curtains

New office curtains

There's nothing scientific about making curtains for me. Each panel is as wide as the drapery fabric came. Ironing everything is key. I sew the sides up and then sew the top, based on how I plan to hang them. I hang up a panel, pin where it needs to be hemmed and take it down. Then I measure it so I can get a straight hem and sew the other panel the same length as well.

It's a really easy DIY as long as you have a bit of extra material to play with for the length, and while it won't save you a ton of money (unless your material is on sale), it does provide you with a lot more options which is really what it came down to for me this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment