26 August 2015

A memory-filled gallery wall


In our first house, I struggled endlessly with what to do with the big wall in the dining room. It was an awkward wall with some weird bulkheading going on so it didn’t really have a defined middle. This past winter, I finally figured it out and hung a gallery wall with pictures of favourite memories:

Old house gallery wall

I loved that wall. My chair in the dining room faced it and there was a good view from the kitchen. It felt very home-y, but modern at the same time, which was exactly what that house needed. When we moved, I took it down without really knowing whether there would be a place for it in the new house (*tear*).

After we painted the dining room, it started to feel a lot more like our old dining room, and I started to feel like the gallery wall would work in there. Justin didn’t believe me, but I was convinced and hung it anyway while he wasn’t home. And wouldn’t you know, we both love it!

New gallery wall

I expanded it a bit for this house by adding the nickel frames that tie in with some artwork we have on the wall across from it and the mirror hanging in the living room. I also changed out a few of the photos.



It takes a couple of hours to hang, but here’s how I tackle it:
-          Frame all of your pictures first
-          Lay the frames out on a surface similar in size to your wall (I use the dining room table, which is a bit small)
-          Cut out pieces of paper the right size for each and every frame (I use old flyers…)
-          Starting from the middle, tape the paper guides to the wall with roughly measured spacing (tip: if it’s a freshly painted wall, use delicate surface tape)
-          Once you’re happy with your placement, you can start hanging the frames over top of your paper guides (this is where I get out my ruler and level to make sure everything is spaced and hung neatly)
-          Pull the guides out from under your pictures once you’re done

Laying out the gallery wall

Hanging the paper guides for the gallery wall

We are completely smitten with this wall (and so is our kitty, Peanut Butter)! So many wonderful memories.

Peanut Butter the cat sitting in front of the gallery wall

No comments:

Post a Comment